Saturday, July 27, 2013

Thomas the Train and Monster Trucks . . .






A high school friend of mine asked me to make cookies to take when she visits another high school classmate for her son's second birthday.   She told me Carson loved Thomas AND Monster Trucks. 

While at first it sounded like a weird combination cookie-wise (totally not weird at all two-year-old-boy-wise!), I figured out how to make it work.  If you are a two-year old boy, Thomas the Train is one of the biggest celebrities around! I fondly remember all three of my boys being HUGE Thomas fans, so I was really excited when I was asked to make these cookies!    Monster trucks are also fun, and a great excuse to try a technique I've been wanting to try for a while - stenciling!  



I had seen a cool tutorial on (where else) Sugarbelle's site a few months back, and decided this was my opportunity to give it a shot.   I got these awesome tire track stencils from Nicole at Salsa Sweets.  I don't have an airbrush (yet!) so I used extra thick royal icing instead.  I think it worked for the muddy tire effect.  The stencil was awesome, and I can't wait to try more!



By using a similar color palette, I was able to take two very different themes and make them work together!  I was really happy with how these turned out.    Thank you for the donation, Kristy!  Hope you and Annie had a great time together this weekend, and Carson had a wonderful second birthday!
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Adorable! What a clever use of the wedding cake cutter. So many fun birthday parties! You can tell how much younger you are than me...all my cookies for friends are wedding and baby showers, a few high school grads, and sorority stuff! I love Thomas the Tank Engine...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie! I loved this idea for the Thomas cookies . . . . I'm still trying to get more creative with my cutters. Found lots of versions of this on Pinterest and was excited to give it a try! I'm not THAT much younger than you . . . I just have younger friends ordering cookies ;)

      Delete

have something to say?? tell me :)