Sunday, April 28, 2013

Big or Small . . . Save them All!


As most of you know, I donate all sales from my baking to a cause very important to me - Susan G Komen for the Cure.  As a participant in the annual Washington, DC Komen 3 Day walk,  I have committed to raise money each year in the fight against breast cancer.     2013 will mark my fourth year participating in this incredible event, and over the past three and a half years, I have raised over $15,000.

When I first signed up to walk in the 3 Day for the Cure in 2010, I did it as a personal challenge for myself - I didn't have a personal connection to breast cancer. Since that time, I have come to know many people who have been affected by the disease - so many wonderful survivors and family members of people taken too soon, the cause has become something I truly believe in. I am a firm supporter of the Susan G Komen motto - we do this "because everyone deserves a lifetime."

A little over a year ago, the fight became truly personal.  One of my oldest and dearest friends called me with the news:  she had breast cancer.    A year later, I am so happy to say that through early detection and medical intervention, she is a SURVIVOR.  Not only that, she is walking with my team this year!!   I am so grateful to all of the doctors, researchers, and fundraisers who have made this survival a reality, I am more committed than ever to continuing the cause.  Everyone deserves a lifetime.

I made this platter of cookies to take to a fundraiser my friend Paula had last night.   Our walk team, Team Think Pink, has the motto "Big or Small, Save them All!"    Here it is in cookie form.

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! I want to be on your team! When is the walk?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that would be so great Susie! we would love to have you join us. the walk is October 11-13

      Delete

have something to say?? tell me :)