Saturday, December 1, 2012

Gingerbread Men . . . lots of them!




It's that time of year again!   Our neighborhood activities director plans the most amazing events for the families who live in my community - we are so lucky to have her!   Each December, she plans an amazing Winter Wonderland to kick off the holiday season, complete with Santa's workshop, hayrides and a tree lighting.    For the second year, she asked me to make gingerbread men as part of the "cookies and cocoa" . . . and I was happy to do it!

After rolling, baking and decorating 400 gingerbread men, I'm a bit tired - but my house smells heavenly!   We just delivered the cookies to the neighborhood clubhouse Santa's workshop, and can't wait for this afternoon's festivities to begin!

Thank you Tracy for the order - and for everything else you do for the community!




If you are looking for a good gingerbread recipe - try this one!  It comes from one of my mom's cookbooks from the early 70's, and I've been making it for years.  


Gingerbread Men

1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 12 oz jar molasses
2/3 cup cold water
7 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
11/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp salt

Cream together brown sugar and shortening, then add molasses and water.   In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients.  Add dry ingredients to molasses mixture a little at a time.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Roll 1/8 inch thick and cut with desired cutters.   Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes (for a softer cookie, bake no more than 10 minutes).  Cool on rack and decorate with royal icing.


Update:

We had a lovely time at the Winter Wonderland, and I thought I'd add a few pictures from the event.   My boys had a lot of fun, and it was fun for me to see people enjoying my cookies - especially cute little kids!




My son Noah volunteered to be a Santa's elf

Our clubhouse was set up with tons of holiday crafts and activities for the kids to do as they waited their turn to see Santa

The boys writing letters to Santa

Crafting!



Making magic reindeer food with oats, marshmallows and glitter 
This little girl loved my cookies!  Made me so happy!
another gingerbread cookie girl
My three boys with Santa!



2 comments:

  1. How fun. Sounds like an elf that needs some wine.....or a hookah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha our CookieCon mexican restaurant/hookah bar experience will live on forever. . . .

      Delete

have something to say?? tell me :)